On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 08:10:08AM -0500, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Kostas Georgiou
> <k.georg...@atreides.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 06:59:06AM -0800, Im Root wrote:
> >
> >> I believe that adding json would be a mistake. The reason is that when
> >> users install the main package there would be now a dependency on
> >> having json installed. It just adds to the complexity and helps to
> >> perpetuate RPM hell. I've had to deal with installing json in the past
> >> and it's been awful. It may be nice for a developer but not so nice
> >> for the end users.
> >
> > There is no need for any extra dependencies to output json, my current
> > testing code is basically a copy of the code that outputs xml. Parsing
> > json is a completely different story though.
>
> That can be accomplished by embedding a copy of json-c, which wouldn't
> require any external dependencies. ( https://github.com/json-c/json-c )

This isn't going to help, the Fedora packaging guidelines forbid this so
I'll have to rip it out and use the system one for the fedora packages
anyway. Of course other distributions might be more forgiving, I have no
idea.

Personally I can't say I care much about JSON, what I am aiming at is
to make the input/output in gmond more modular and having a second
encoding helps me see clearer what should be exposed to a plugin.

Kostas

PS> I've pushed my WIP in my tests/json branch if any one wants to
have a look.