I think a JSON option would make the gmond data more accessible. If the hood is
going to be open on the transport, an HTTP option would further open up access
to the data. HTTP would provide a way to pass query arguments and return
specific metrics, or metrics for a particular host, tag etc. I don't thing a
full blown web server would be necessary, just a simple embedded HTTP parser,
e.g. https://github.com/joyent/http-parser

Currently Ganglia has a strict containment hierarchy. I can imagine
environments, large virtual machine pools for example, where you might want to
cluster hosts based on their attributes, or create logical clusters for
different services rather than cluster based on the gmond instance that happens
to be collecting the data. Filtering in gmond is more efficient that having to
retrieve the entire database and filter at the receiver.

Another point worth considering. It is my understanding that gmond is single
threaded. Locking up the daemon while it exports a large xml document risks
losing data. A json document would be more compact and improve scalability
while filtered queries would further reduce the time needed to export data on a
large site.

Peter