 From: Dave Rawks <d...@pandora.com>
To: ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-developers] Protocol Efficiency Ideas

On 1/27/12 2:05 PM, Im Root wrote:
> I forgot to add that by adding json, you will be restricting the types
> of Linux that this platform runs on. Although it may be a "nice to have"
> feature for a few developers who may want to customize things, this puts
> an additional dependency on the platform. You will be restricted to
> using only the flavors of linux that the keepers of json feel like
> using. Sorry, but adding the json dependency is a completely boneheaded
> move.

I'm up for whatever sort of lively and informed debate you'd like to
offer. Would you care to explain to me on which platforms json-c isn't
available on? Maybe instead of calling ideas boneheaded you could be a
bit more constructive in your criticism.

FWIW to help inform the conversation... json-c, the proposed library for
supplying json features is available under a standard MIT license free
for use without restriction. It is available pre-packaged on all major
linux, bsd, and solaris distributions and I'm fairly certin it build on
32 and 64 bit windows as well. It provides an open unrestricted and
common interchange format for data that is available in every major
programming language.

Sooo.. Mister Root, where is the restriction that creates a platform
dependency?

P.S. typically this is something that would be build time configurable
as well for those who don't care to include it in their build. AND the
lib is smally enough that those who care to statically link their bins
could easily do that too...

-Dave