Hi,

Thanks for response.

I see there is no averseness to the idea of considering different
serialization format/protocol.

Before we have any contribution in terms of code/specifications, what would
be the ideal choice among these :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_data_serialization_formats
for choosing
the serialization format over the current XDR implementation in ganglia?

As in like what is the current payload by XDR and what we should not intend
to cross over, the performance overhead in processing and storing, the
availability of libraries and ease of use being some of them that comes to
thought of discussion.

As Dave also mentions platform agnostic, portability (endianness?) and
efficiency are also of the critical things to be considered. While ASN.1
does offer all of this, some of the others that I wanted to consider are :
 MessagePack and UBJson. Formats specs are described here for MessagePack
http://wiki.msgpack.org/display/MSGPACK/Format+specification and for UBJson
 http://ubjson.org

Let me know what do you all think would be the ideal choice.

Thanks.