I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to improve here? XDR
seems like a fine, standard, lightweight serialization protocol to use.
It is already implemented and we've already got some protocol handling
for backwards compat for really old ganglia monitor clients. What is
there to gain from switching aside from having some new and shiny that
needs to be supported in addition to the existing stuff? We aren't
serializing any custom data types or references or anything aside from
some floats, ints, and a couple of strings. XDR compute overhead is not
hurting performance, especially on modern hardware, the payloads aren't
very big and the tuning of various check timings and metric validity
timings further reduces the amount of chatter on the wire.

If you want to introduce some more modern code to ganglia I think adding
support for pushing gmond communications into a modern pub/sub message
queue framework. I've never heard anybody have problems with our
serialization, but there is frequent and often confusing troubleshooting
around multicast vs unicast and the various
infrastructural/configuration tweaks to make the most out of those.
Further improvements could probably be had in the arena of node
multi-tenancy and/or arbitrary node grouping/clustering.

Maybe I'm missing something that you've said or implied already, but
this just seems like change for the sake of change.

-Dave