I 100% agree that we should be able to use some sort of unique and
persistent way to identify hosts, but I don't think that dmidecode is
the way to do it. Generating a UUID once and then persisting it in a
file would be my preference, but I think that more generally if we were
to allow a user specified callback to provide the ID string would be the
ideal situation and would be the most flexible.

Some users may want to use the UUID from a disk or a filesystem label,
others may find that their vendors provide the info in something usable
via dmidecode, and yet others may just want to populate hostname as the
identifier. Moving away from DNS would be a big win, IMHO, for a large
percentage of users, but lets not adopt something that is equally
troublesome for some other equally large percentage of users...

-Dave