On 08/01/2013 10:23 AM, Peter Phaal wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> The Host sFlow agent exports UUIDs (and is compatible with Ganglia 3.2+).
>
> http://blog.sflow.com/2011/07/ganglia-32-released.html
>
> The daemon relies on command utilities invoked at startup to find the
> UUID (for reasons of portability that Dave mentioned). You could take a
> look at the logic in the Linux Host sFlow agent startup script and turn
> it into a Ganglia metric.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/host-sflow/code/413/tree/trunk/src/Linux/scripts/hsflowd
>
> Dave, the script uses the /usr/sbin/dmidecode command line tool.
> If it can't find a valid UUID, it uses the UUID of the first local disk.

The UUID of the first disk is a completely different level of
persistence than something less likely to be replaced during normal
operation such as a CPU serial. But, realistically we aren't going to
get something that is derived from hardware and meets everyone's
definition of persistent and unique.

> What
> are the issues with the vendor supplied UUIDs? Are they all zeros? Not
> set? Not unique?

All of the above.

> Do you have a better way of retrieving persistent UUIDs
> to Linux systems?

Part of the problem is that people have differing levels of their need
for persistence AND we need something agnostic of the underlying OS and
host architecture. Not everyone running ganglia is running X86/AMD64 linux.

> Other operating systems provide different mechanism to read the UUID.
> You can browse the Host sFlow source code for the different supported
> platforms.
>
> Peter

-Dave