Debian is proposing to remove the ganglia-web package because of the
pre-compiled/minified jQuery and friends, this would also see us cut
from Ubuntu and other derivatives:

These are the files in question:

js/jquery-1.9.1.min.js
js/jquery-ui-1.10.2.custom.min.js
jquery.scrollTo-1.4.2-min.js
dash/js/jquery-ui-1.8.14.custom.min.js

I'm going to fix this for the next ganglia-web release, I will have to
do one of the following things:

a) include the uncompressed versions of these files in releases as well
and a trivial script for compressing each of them during installation of
ganglia-web.  Whenever somebody adds some new JS, they must add the
unminified version and update the script.  This may be the better
approach if we really need a specific version of each JS file.

b) remove the jQuery.js from the repository/release tarballs and include
some script to download it for those people who don't have it in their
system (this would make our tarballs smaller)

Does anybody have any preference for either option?

Can anybody comment on the exact versions we require, do we really need
jQuery 1.9.1 for instance or can Debian users just symlink to the
pre-packaged jQuery v1.7.2?

Big distributions are becoming more and more pro-active about this,
using scripts that scan all their packages and start the process to
evict those with binary/minified artifacts.

I realize this is slightly more tedious for web developers but it means
everybody can have 100% certainty that 100% of the files on their system
can be traced back to original source.  If distributions didn't enforce
this, they would end up full of malware like certain shareware sites and
app stores.