On 04/02/14 14:47, Chris Burroughs wrote:
> I thought the distro anti-bundling stance was paired with a "we
> already have X so you should just depend on it".  I'm not sure how
> this works with javascript.   Is there some debian "jquery package"
> that could be depended on?

There is a jQuery package in Debian, but it is a slightly older version

There are various issues that motivate these rules/policies in
distributions:

- disk space

- security updates (better to just have one copy of X to update in one
shot, hard to find multiple bundled copies of X and check they all have
the latest/necessary security patches)

- source - bundling any minified artifact is not consider to be real
source code

That said, given that every project seems to depend on a different
version of jQuery, there is some leniency - Debian accepts bundled
copies of some things like jQuery as long as they are not minified.  It
is perfectly OK to minify them in an installation script, but the source
tarball from the Ganglia web site must be 100% readable source code.