Hi Eric:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Eric Shubert <e...@shubes.net> wrote:

> That's great news to me. This was one of the questions I had when I
> first learned about ganglia.
>
> I've recently begun using ganglia to monitor several vmware hosts and
> guests, and am very much interested in this type of configuration. I
> would like to keep the data collection on the vmware hosts/guests, but
> run the frontend on a separate (remote) host.
>
> What are the security implications?

>From the man page of rrdtool for "RRD Server":

"NOTE: that there is no authentication with this feature! Do not setup
such a port unless you are sure what you are doing."

It does run rrdtool in a chroot (usually the root directory where your
rrd files are located, i.e. /var/lib/ganglia/rrds), however, since
there is no authentication, the port is basically wide open meaning
out of the box folks on the network could do things like "ls" and
"mkdir" in the root directory.

It would be nice if we could add the functionality of restricting
certain commands from being executed remotely, much like the -P
feature of rrdcached.

Cheers,

Bernard