From: "Shane Ford" <goufgat...@bellsouth.net>
Sender: gatorn...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:48:11
To: GATORNEWS<gatorn...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [gatornews] [SUN]:   7/27  13:36   ---   "DOOLEY's DESK"   ---   the
        Vandy solution   [Dooley]

July 27th, 2010 01:36pm
the Vandy solution
by Pat Dooley      (Gainesville SUN)

Two of the biggest names in southern journalism this week have made a statement
I made back in 1998. Both Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel and Paul
Finebaum of the Finebaum Network have written than it's time for Vanderbilt to
be kicked out of the SEC.

Back in '98 as Florida was blowing out the Commodores, I sat on the 50-yard
line at Dudley Field in Nashville and wrote a similar column. Not in the press
box but in the stands. There was nobody within 15 yards of me.

But I also understand that when we write these kinds of columns it validates
the opinions that people outside the South have, that we're pulling up our
jean-shorts by our rope belts and saying, "We don't need any of that book
learnin' in this conference."

Vandy adds a lot to the league in several sports. You also have to realize that
for athletic directors in this league, Vandy is a lot better than Arkansas.
Nashville is not only a lot easier to get to, it's a lot more fun when you get
there.

However, Vanderbilt doesn't feel like an SEC school, has rotten facilities and
never seems to take football seriously.

I'm not pushing for their ouster. Instead, I asking the other 11 schools in the
league to demand more of Vandy. They should tell the Commodores heirarchy that
its next coach has to make a minimum of 2 million a year. Make Vanderbilt hire
someone who players will want to play for. And force the Conmmodores to put
some of that money that Alabama and Florida earn for them into their facility.

Vandy isn't that much harder than Florida or Georgia to get into to. That's not
the problem. The problem is nobody wants to go there. If Vandy is going to
remain a viable member of this league, it has to spend some money to make it
seem like an SEC team instead of the Kansas City Royals.

Otherwise, boot 'em.

Comments
3 Comments

  1.. July 27th, 2010 4:53 pm
  Dude, unless you are talking about student athletes you are wrong about the
entrance requirements for Vandy vs. Florida. Vanderbilt is much more difficult
to get into. Your statement is akin to saying that Yale is not much more
difficult to get accepted to than Vanderbilt. BTW, I'm a gator grad, so I don't
have an axe to grind.

  by Crusher

  2.. July 27th, 2010 5:31 pm
  My daughter was provisionally accepted to both Harvard and UF. The academic
standards weren't that far apart. The point is not that the SEC doesn't have
some -ahem-less rigorous academies of higher learning, but that if Florida and
Georgia can compete athletically AND academically, then what exactly is Vandy's
excuse? By the way, I seriously doubt Yale has much higher academic standards
than Vandy or UF. It's real hard to get into because of the number of
applicants.

  by John

  3.. July 27th, 2010 5:47 pm
  Dooley, you need to learn the lesson of the Totem Pole. One head is stacked
upon another. Take out the bottom and it only makes a new bottom with a shorter
pole. Do that enough and you no longer have a pole. Vandy is on that bottom in
FB, by and large, but isn't in other sports. Roundball sports they do pretty
well with. Baseball and Basketball in the SEC can find them pretty competitive.

  Besides, you're missing a GREAT Point. When they are generally known as the
bottom of the SEC in football, isn't it Incredibly fun and entertaining when
they beat a Tennessee team? Wasn't that fun? Bet you got some mileage out of
that one, as all us Gators did. FWIW - moments like that can only be paid for
over decades of suckitude. Do you really want to lose moments like that?

  by TxGat

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

<<Dooleys+Desk.gif>>