Marty Liquori
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Medal record
Men's Athletics
Competitor for the  United States
Pan American Games
Gold 1971 Cali 1500 metres
Martin ("Marty") Liquori (born 11 September 1949) is an American middle
distance
athlete.
Liquori first rose to fame when he became the third American high schooler to
break the four-minute mile by running a 3:59.8 in 1967, three years after Jim
Ryun first did it.
He grew up in Cedar Grove, New Jersey and attended Essex Catholic High
School.[1] After high school, Liquori enrolled at Villanova University. There
he
was coached by the legendary Jumbo Elliott.
Liquori made the U.S. Olympic team in 1968 as a nineteen-year-old freshman. He
reached the finals of the 1,500 meter run but suffered a stress fracture and
finished 12th. He was the youngest person ever to compete in the final.
In 1969, he finished second to Ryun in the NCAA indoor mile then won the NCAA
and AAU outdoor mile championships by turning the tables on Ryun and beating
him. He repeated the AAU outdoor in 1970 and had his best year in 1971, winning
the NCAA and AAU outdoor titles, and a gold medal in the 1,500 m at the
Pan-American Games. In 1969 and 1971 he was ranked number 1 in the world for
1500 meters/mile. In 1977 he was ranked number 1 in 5000 meters and set a US
record of 13:15.1 while finishing second to Miruts Yifter in the inaugural
World
Cup.
On May 16, 1971, Liquori lowered his personal best to 3:54.6 in the Dream Mile
in Philadelphia and beat Ryun by a few steps.
But Liquori was injured later that year. He didn't return to competition until
1973. In 1975 he ran a personal best 3:52.2 in the mile, finishing second to
Filbert Bayi (who broke Ryun's world record in that race by 0.1 second with a
3:51.0), and set a United States record of 8:17.12 in the 2 mile. Liquori
retired from competitive distance running in 1980.
He has written an autobiography, On The Run , "Guide to the Elite Runner" and
"Home Gym Workout". He was a founder of The Athlete Attic Footwear chain in
1971.
Liquori lives in Gainesville, Florida. He does commentary for NBC at the
Olympics and at various track and triathlon events around the country. Liquori
was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), which is now in
remission. He picked up the guitar after a 35-year hiatus and is currently a
professional jazz guitarist and now performs Monday and Thursday nights with
various ensembles at Leonardo's 706, a Gainesville restaurant.

During Liquori's active years as a runner, I served as a vulunteer to the
Florida Relays, UF's premier annual track meet that has high school, college
and
AAU level competition.  I was a finish judge and saw Jim Ryun, Liquori and
other
great runners of the time make some of their best times.