"Most of the linemen on that 2006 team had experience in a pro set type of
offense, so it was probably more natural to that group than the zone blocking
schemes that were just being introduced - just the opposite of our current
group."

This is the most confounding part for me.  They SHOULD be better at the spread
and zone blocking, but they are not!  They are doing much better in man to man
blocking schemes and knowing the QB is going to drop back and pass.  It really
seems that the whole offense is not on the same page, no cohesiveness.
Everyone
should be making the same reads, whether you are a QB, O-lineman, WR, or RB.
They must all see the same and react similarly and in conjunction with each
other.  I don't think we have the conjunction part down.  Some may be seeing it
and reacting appopriately, others are not.  This leads to problems like we are
experiencing where unexplained defenders go untouched to our QB or routes are
cutoff or passes thrown when they shouldn't be.  What else explains the
propensity of running a 3 yard route when we need 5 on a third or fourth down?

Are we better with Burton?  I don't think so!  If you put him in, we are no
different than the offense that MSU ran which many have said was horrible when
you run 29 out of 30 times.  Could we win?  maybe... But we could win with
Brantley if they allowed him and the offense to be what they do best.  Also,
how
many passes has Burton thrown? TWO!  He has run the ball 32 times. Talk about
becoming one dimensional!