Friends,

I guess I couldn't wait, so last week I saddled up my laptop,
harnessed that high-speed internet connection (yeah, forgive the
cowboy references) and got myself a torrent file to download the movie.

Three days of patient waiting later, I had the entire film downloaded
- it's an 800MB file.

I'm not going to make this academic, and there are no layers of
queerness in this email. I watched the movie on my laptop last
weekend. First, let me say that this is a terribly courageous movie to
make and to act in. Ang Lee, Heath Ledger and Jake Gylenhall staked
their careers on making it.

A heavy dose of cynicism will also tell you that I'm quite sure they
knew full well that their gamble was going to pay off in spades, at
least critically. Hollywood has a way of heaping accolades on people
who play 'unusual' characters - Tom Hanks in Philadelphia, Charlize
Theron in Monster, and this year Felicity Huffman playing a man
becoming a woman as well as Philip Seymour Hoffman playing Capote
(another movie I really want to see).

What has been a bit of a surprise to everybody was the extent of
Brokeback's commercial success. But I'll let you'll read about that on
the web. Basically, they're called women, and they represent 50% of
the movie-going public, who'd have thunk...

About whether I think it deserves the Best Picture Oscar - probably
not. I believe that Crash is a better movie overall and I haven't seen
the other three nominees. Besides, it is mushy and overtly
sentimental. Has shades of Madison County all over it. But I agree
with the article posted on this list yesterday, that if you only see
Brokeback for a 'universal' love story, then you're missing the point.
In fact, even if you see it as a gay cowboy movie, you're missing the
point.

Its true brilliance lies in its being a movie about what the closet
does to homosexuals.

Now, about my reactions to the film:
I had read Annie Proulx's short story a couple of times last year,
first when I heard it was being adapted for the screen and the second
time when the movie opened to huge critical acclaim. It's a beautiful
story - very subtle and graphic at the same time. What the film
adaptation does very well is to fill in the broad contours of the
story without mucking with it - some subplots are elaborated a bit
further, and a few new scenes have been added.

Ultimately though, it colours inside the lines of the story, so to
speak. This is unlike another recent film also adapted from a short
story, India's entry at the Academy Awards, which took a lovely story
added entire sub-plots & wholly irrelevant characters and unduly
lengthened what could have been a tightly edited two-hour movie.

The sex scenes are there, pretty much as Proulx describes them - they
haven't been made more explicit, and I didn't feel like the filmmakers
self-censored too much. And can I just say, those two boys are HOT!

Also, the two main women in the movie are excellent, both are recent
teen queens (one's from Dawson's Creek, the other from the Disney
factory) who have clearly grown up. I like how Anne Hathaway becomes
creepier as the film progresses, and Michelle Williams becomes weepier.

For those of you who haven't read the story, I'm not going to give
away anything about the plot except for saying it's a tragic love
story. You know the drill, boy meets boy, society doesn't sanction boy
on boy action, and stories are woven as a result.

The setting of the movie is such a visual treat, alternating between
the Rocky Mountains and the Great Plains. The cinematographer has
little more to do than point the camera at the scenery and he's a
shoo-in for best cinematography. The score got a little annoying at
times, being played sometimes when I wished there was just silence.

The film is very languid, the camera lingers lazily, sequences get
dreamy, even the characters' southern accents seem more drawn out. The
net result is an almost complete lack of pitched drama, which is
wonderful. Lee spends a lot of time establishing the mood of a scene
before getting to the action, much like how Proulx has written the story.

How did I feel? - I LOVED the movie. Halfway through, I sort of
decided that it was dragging a bit and it wasn't all that great. Then
it got to the end...

Have you ever seen someone cry? There are basically two types of
non-melodramatic crying. The first is the pretty cry. This consists of
dignified sobs, maybe a lace hanky reaching up to gingerly wipe a tear
away, and a little muffled sniffling.

The second is the ugly cry. This is the one with the dry heaving, the
snot running, tears streaking down face, runny mascara, halloween eyes
and strange noises from the throat.

All I have to say is that this is only the second movie in my entire
adult life that has got me to the ugly cry.

- Ali

P.S. The first time was during Romeo & Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio
and Claire Danes. And I only did the ugly cry when Mercutio died, not
at the end, and only because I felt he could have loved Romeo more
than that meddlesome Juliet. I was also 18.

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages
(by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all
members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then
please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html