"Indian" <delhi...@yahoo.com> writes:

SINCE YOU ARE ANGRY (AND RIGHTLY SO) YOU ARE TAKING A CONTRADICTORY POSITION BY
REPOSING FAITH IN A SYSTEM THAT YOU DO NOT WANT OR CANNOT TRUST IN THE FIRST
PLACE. PLEASE SEE YOUR FOLLOWING LINE: "ALSO, CAN WE SUE THE JUDICIARY SINCE
THEY TOLD A LIE WHILE SAYING THAT THE PETITION DID NOT HAVE A LOCUS STANDI?"
WHO WOULD BE THE JUDGE TO PROSECUTE WHOM??

IN A DEMOCRATIC SYSTEM IT IS A MATTER OF NEGOTIATION AND BARGAINING. THE
SMARTNESS LIES IN BEING PATIENT AND ALWAYS KEEPING THE BIGGER PICTURE IN MIND
WHILE CELEBRATING SMALL SUCCESSES ON THE WAY. FINALLY, THE ENEMY, WHETHER
PERCEIVED OR REAL, IS PRETTY FACELESS, AND HENCE SHAMELESS. SO THERE IS NO
POINT IN BEING ANGRY! THE MANTRA IS 'KEEP GOING'.

Reply:

I agree with you. They are shameless since they are faceless which has given
them impunity from punishment no matter what crime they commit.

In spite of this, if somehow we could have found a way to show their true face
to them, it would have helped us. Otherwise they are sure to repeat their dirty
tricks and harm us in our further work.

Presently, reverse is going on. Rather than condemning them, we are praising
them.

Aditya Bandopadhyay has taken a very simplistic view of the situation. It will
not help. A higher court can always reverse the verdict of a lower court. There
is nothing wrong in it. Even the same court can change its earlier verdict,
when a review petition is filed. We cannot prove any impropriety involved.

However, things are not as simple. The previous judges didn't dismiss our
petition since they were not competent enough or they did not know the law.
They dismissed it since they were biased against us; since they became afraid
when they received our petition. They very well knew that the petition had all
the merits, but they were scared of the possible reaction of Indian mainstream
population who was not even ready to hear the word 'homosexuality' at that
time. However, this is something on which a court case should not be dismissed.

I am also not blaming the judges who dismissed it; I am blaming the whole
system, the complete judiciary. I know it was not only the decision of the
judges who signed the order; it was a collective decision of the government of
India and the complete judiciary including the Supreme Court, working in the
background.

Of course, the judges who did this were also not fully innocent. True, the
whole system violated the constitution, but the judges who signed the order
also did not do justice with their own profession. They had a very simple
remedy. They could have resigned, instead of signing that verdict.

The question which you are asking, i.e., who will judge the judiciary, is not
very difficult to answer. In the case which the Supreme Court is fighting with
a person who has asked to reveal the assets of the SC judges under the RTI Act,
judiciary is judging itself. First, it was judged by the Chief Information
Commissioner and then twice by the Delhi High Court; first by a single judge
bench, and then by a full bench. The Supreme Court lost all the three times.
Now, the Supreme Court is preparing to file an appeal to itself. Quite
interesting. Isn’t it?

More difficult to answer is the question - Against whom should we make a
complaint and what complaint should we make. This is very complicated question.

However, it is not necessary to go to judiciary all the time. It could have
been a media trial also. When Supreme Court Justice Markandeya Katju said - “We
don’t want to have Talibans in our country” while dismissing the petition of
Mohammad Salim, a student at Nirmala Convent School in Madhya Pradesh who
wanted to sport a beard, the newspapers opposed and justice Katju had to
apologize for his remarks. When Additional Metropolitan Magistrate Rajendra
Kumar Shastri of Karkardooma District Court in Delhi immensely praised R. K.
Sharma, the murderer of Shivani Bhatnagar, and designated him as an ‘Asset to
the Nation’ who committed only 'one mistake’, the newspapers highlighted the
issue and the people protested angrily asking for Shastri's remarks to be
deleted from the verdict.

Our case is much more serious than the above. But surprisingly, media is
praising the judiciary rather than condemning it.

If we could do something so that the matter is highlighted within Indian
circles, our future fight for our rights will be much easier.

If nothing can be done about it, we shouldn’t at least praise them. Recently A.
P. Shah retired and gay community thanked him profusely. Why? And why him only?
A. P. Shah only signed the verdict. It was the collective decision of the Govt.
of India and the Supreme Court. Of course, Justice A. P. Shah might also have
been a party to it. The main lead was taken by the Supreme Court who in 2005
ordered DHC to pass the petition after taking due care that law and order
problem doesn't arise which DHC took care of by making a further delay of four
years.

"Samir Wartak" <samir_...@yahoo.co.in> writes:

I THINK OUR ACTIVISTS HAVE FOR NOW .. SUFFICIENT LEGAL AND SOCIAL COMPREHENSION
ABOUT THE ISSUES. THEY HAVE SHOWED SUFFICIENT COMPETENCY IN CONVINCING THE DHC

Reply:

They do not. They have not understood why the petition was dropped initially
and under what conditions, they same petition was approved afterwards.
Understanding this will help us in future.

Ashok Row Kavi "arowk...@vsnl.in" writes:

PRASHANTS AND ASSORTED ARM CHAIR ACTIVISTS IS THAT THEIR RANTS ARE READ BY
PEOPLE FROM THE ENEMY CAMP MONITORING OUR E-LISTS. DO YOU KNOW THAT THE JACK
LEGAL "EXPERTS" QUOTED ME AS HAVING PERMITTED AND BACKING SEX WORK? FOR MEN?

SIMILARLY, I FEEL THAT PRASHANT IS BEING FANNING FALSE FIRES BY KEEPING ON
ASKING FOR MARRIAGE CIVIL RIGHTS...

Reply:

I cannot understand how my writings can be abused by our enemies. What I wrote
in my article is only that our petition was dropped when Indian heterosexuals
were opposing homosexuality. And it was passed when they approved it. The theme
of my article was to highlight that the constitution did never come into
picture. I just cannot understand how this can be used against us. Please be
more explicit.

If you think that the SC may overturn DHC verdict since I raised the issue of
SSML also; then consider this - Who does not know that one day we will
definitely be demanding it and who does not know that one day it will have to
be given to us and the wait is only for the approval of the Indian majority
class? I do not hope that on this basis DHC verdict will be overturned by SC.

As I wrote previously, I have already circulated my article to all government
and judicial circles not only by e-mail but also by postal letters. I never
expect that it may harm us in any way. Of course, it has fallen on deaf ears,
as was expected.

"shishir thadani" <shishirthad...@att.net> writes:

MAY I SUGGEST THAT IF YOU FEEL AS STRONGLY AS YOU DO - PLEASE TAKE YOUR BATTLE
TO SOME INFLUENTIAL STRAIGHT DECISION-MAKERS. IF YOU ARE GENUINE AND SINCERE, I
AM SURE OTHERS WILL FOLLOW.

IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT - JUST TRY TO BE OPENLY GAY…

Reply:

Presently, no answer. Presently, fate does not allow me to come out. Most
unfortunately.

I also understand that very little work can be done by remaining hidden. But I
still want to contribute whatever I can. You may think that I am contributing
negatively, but I am positive. I am myself pure gay and I want welfare of my
community and remove its pain. I desire that nobody undergoes what I had to
undergo or what I am undergoing. I have no hidden agenda.

I only wish and desire (and have a little hope also) that one day I will be
able to break the chains of my slavery and declare my independence. Then I will
be able to do more work.

I was born as a slave but I want to die as a free man. Please send me good
wishes.

Prashant
Matrimonials for Same-sex Marriages (http://users1.jabry.com/pg211/index.asp)
Matrimonials for Bisexuals (http://users1.jabry.com/pg211/bi/index.asp)