Even if a book is banned by a City or County School Board, or a Public
Library, one can still buy the book in a bookstore.  Or if not stocked by that
bookstore (as a form of censorship), one can get it from a competing bookstore.

To my knowledge there has been no state-wide or nation-wide ban on a book in
the US.

This is quite different from the banning of books by the Central or State Govts
in India where one just cannot get the book "legally" and the book can be
confiscated at an airport.
Of course now one could possibly get the book from a website or from a state
where the book is not banned.

And inspite of local bans of books, there is this celebration of locally banned
books at the beginning of fall each
year http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/info.html

My statement "And the incredibly stupid and politically loaded decisions to ban
a book that nobody has even read?!" was about the ban imposed by the Gujarat
state govt and being considered by the Maharashtra state govt.

Hopefully, Vikram's article on the Churchillians v/s the Gandhians and Law
Minister Moily's statement about Lelyveld's sources being from work published
by the Central govt should pretty much put to rest the controversy over the
actual content of Lelyveld's book v/s the mischievious reviews in Western
tabloids.

And hopefully I will get to walk into a bookstore in Mumbai and buy Lelyveld's
book when it is published in India!