On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 04:01:33PM +0100, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Or, options are applicable to just one front end, and can just be a no-op
> for others, for shared-language compilation.  For example, '-nostdinc++',
> or '-frust-incomplete-and-experimental-compiler-do-not-use' need not
> necessarily emit a diagnostic, but can just just be ignored by 'cc1',
> 'f951', 'lto1'.

One simple change could be to add a new warning option and use it for
complain_wrong_lang warnings:
  else if (ok_langs[0] != '\0')
    /* Eventually this should become a hard error IMO.  */
    warning (0, "command-line option %qs is valid for %s but not for %s",
             text, ok_langs, bad_lang);
  else
    /* Happens for -Werror=warning_name.  */
    warning (0, "%<-Werror=%> argument %qs is not valid for %s",
             text, bad_lang);
We could keep the existing behavior, but give users (and our testsuite)
a way to silence that warning if they are ok with it applying only to a
subset of languages.
Then one could use
-frust-incomplete-and-experimental-compiler-do-not-use -Wno-whatever
or add that -Wno-whatever in check_compile if the snippet is different
language from main language of the testsuite (or always) etc.

        Jakub