Andrew Haley wrote:
> Try this:
>
> public class trial
> {
>   static public void main (String[] argv)
>   {
>     System.out.println(Math.sin(Math.pow(2.0, 90.0)));
>   }
> }
>
> zapata:~ $ gcj trial.java --main=trial -ffast-math -O
> zapata:~ $ ./a.out
> 1.2379400392853803E27
> zapata:~ $ gcj trial.java --main=trial -ffast-math
> zapata:~ $ ./a.out
> -0.9044312486086016

You're comparing apples and oranges, since C (my code) and Java differ
in their definitions and implementations of floating-point.

I don't build gcj these days; however, when I have a moment later, I'll
build the latest GCC mainline from CVS -- with Java -- and see how it
reacts to my Java version of my benchmark. I also have a Fortran 95
version as well, so I guess I might as well try several languages, and
see what we get.

..Scott