Paul Koning wrote:

And also because most people believe that C applies normal computer
arithmetic, and they believe that normal computer arithmetic is
wrapped 2's complement.  (And indeed it usually is, give or take some
bizarre exceptions like MAX_INT % -1)

and not so bizarre exceptions like machines that trap on signed
overflow.

We all know better, but how tiny is the fraction of C programmers who
have ever even *seen* the ANSI C spec, much less know in detail what
it says?

OK, but to me "knows C" (the predicate in my statement) certainly
means being familiar with the standard, not necessarily by reading it,
I am sure there are lots of good books on C that have a good account
of the rules (K&R is clear enough on this particular issue).