On Wed, 10 May 2023 at 12:36, Eli Zaretskii via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:49:32 +0200
> > From: David Brown via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> >
> > > People who ignore warnings will use options that disable these new
> > > errors, exactly as they disable warnings.  So we will end up not
> > > reaching the goal, but instead harming those who are well aware of the
> > > warnings.
> >
> > My experience is that many of the people who ignore warnings are not
> > particularly good developers, and not particularly good at
> > self-improvement.  They know how to ignore warnings - the attitude is
> > "if it really was a problem, the compiler would have given an error
> > message, not a mere warning".  They don't know how to disable error
> > messages, and won't bother to find out.  So they will, in fact, be a lot
> > more likely to fix their code.
>
> If some developers want to ignore warnings, it is not the business of
> GCC to improve them, even if you are right in assuming that they will
> not work around errors like they work around warnings (and I'm not at
> all sure you are right in that assumption).  But by _forcing_ these
> errors on _everyone_, GCC will in effect punish those developers who
> have good reasons for not changing the code.

There will be options you can use to continue compiling the code
without changing it. You haven't given a good reason why it's OK for
one group of developers to have to use options to get their desired
behaviour from GCC, but completely unacceptable for a different group
to have to use options to get their desired behaviour.

This is just a change in defaults. Accepting broken code by default is
not a priori a good thing, as you seem to insist. Rejecting it by
default is not a priori a good thing. There is a pragmatic choice to
be made, and your argument is still no more than "it compiles today,
so it should compile tomorrow".

> > > IOW, if we are targeting people for whom warnings are not enough, then
> > > we have already lost the battle.  Discipline cannot be forced by
> > > technological means, because people will always work around.
> > >

> > Agreed.  But if we can make it harder for them to release bad code,
> > that's good overall.
>
> I'm okay with making it harder, but without making it too hard for
> those whose reasons for not changing the code are perfectly valid.
> This proposal crosses that line, IMNSHO.

Where "too hard" means using a compiler option. Seriously? This seems farcical.