On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 11:39 AM Matthias Urlichs via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-14/porting_to.html states:
>
> "With the |-fpermissive| option, programs can use C99 inlining semantics
> and features that were removed from C99"
>
> Umm, what? this sentence doesn't make sense.

In the context of mentioning the -std=gnu89/-std=c89 workarounds this
tries to say that when you use -fpermissive you can get the same behavior
when you rely on -std=c99 (for example for C99 inline semantics) or later
(GCCs default is -std=gnu17).  But I agree singling out C99 inline semantics
is confusing (C99 is the next standard after C89).  Note all the warnings that
turned into errors are for features of C89 (or legacy C) that were
removed from C99.

Richard.