On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 2:06 PM Jakub Jelinek <ja...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > In the context of mentioning the -std=gnu89/-std=c89 workarounds
> >
> > I thought as much, but shouldn't it then say "programs can use *C89*
> > inlining semantics that were removed from C99"?
>
> There was no C89 inline semantics, only GNU89 one.  Only C99 introduced
> inline keyword into the standard.

It should probably say "With the |-fpermissive| option, programs can
use C99 inlining semantics
and features from C89 that are removed with C99 and are now errors."  Or do away
completely with mentioning 'C99 inlining semantics' which is I think
what is confusing in the
first place.  Maybe

"With the |-fpermissive| option programs can use features from later C standards
together with those from C89 and earlier that were removed in C99 that
are now errors."

But this is an overly long sentence as well.