Am Freitag, dem 05.07.2024 um 17:24 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Wakely:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 at 17:02, Xi Ruoyao via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 17:53 +0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > > At least, I hope there's consensus that while current GCC doesn't warn
> > > about this, ideally it should, which means it should warn for valid uses
> > > of strtol(3), which means strtol(3) should be fixed, in all of ISO,
> > > POSIX, and glibc.
> >
> > It **shouldn't**.  strtol will only violate restrict if it's wrongly
> > implemented, or something dumb is done like "strtol((const char*) &p,
> > &p, 0)".
> >
> > See my previous reply.
>
> Right, is there a valid use of strtol where a warning would be justified?
>
> Showing that you can contrive a case where a const char* restrict and
> char** restrict can alias doesn't mean there's a problem with strtol.

I think his point is that a const char* restrict and something which
is stored in a char* whose address is then passed can alias and there
a warning would make sense in other situations.

But I am also not convinced removing restrict would be an improvement.
It would make more sense to have an annotation that indicates that
endptr is only used as output.

Martin