Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> writes:
> Richard Sandiford <richard.sandif...@arm.com> writes:
>
>> Sam James via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> This comes up in #gcc on IRC every so often, so finally
>>> writing an RFC.
>>>
>> [...]
>>> TL;DR: The proposal is:
>>>
>>> 1) MAINTAINERS should list a field containing either the gcc.gnu.org
>>> email in full, or their gcc username (bikeshedding semi-welcome);
>>>
>>> 2) It should become a requirement that to be in MAINTAINERS, one must
>>> possess a Bugzilla account (ideally using their gcc.gnu.org email).
>>
>> How about the attached as a compromise?  (gzipped as a poor protection
>> against scraping.)
>>

> Thanks! This would work for me. A note on BZ below.
>
>> It adds the gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla account name, without the @gcc.gnu.org,
>> as a middle column to the Write After Approval section.  I think this
>> makes it clear that the email specified in the last column should be
>> used for communication.
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> If this is OK, I'll need to update check-MAINTAINERS.py.
>
> For Bugzilla, there's two issues:
> 1) If someone uses an alternative (n...@gcc.gnu.org) email on Bugzilla,
> unless an exception is made (and Jakub indicated he didn't want to add
> more - there's very few right now), they do not have editbugs and cannot
> assign bugs to themselves or edit fields, etc.
>
> This leads to bugs being open when they don't need to be anymore, etc,
> and pinskia and I often have to clean that up.
>
> People with commit access are usually very happy to switch to
> @gcc.gnu.org when I let them know it grants powers!
>
> 2) CCing someone using a n...@gcc.gnu.org email is a pain, but *if* they
> have to use a n...@gcc.gnu.org email, it might be OK if they use the
> email that is listed in MAINTAINERS otherwise. If they use a third email
> then it becomes a pain though, but your proposal helps if it's just two
> emails in use.
>
> (But I'd still really encourage them to not do that, given the lack of
> perms.)
>
> I care about both but 1) > 2) for me, some others here care a lot about 2)
> if they're the ones doing triage and bisecting.

Ah, yeah, I agree with all of the above.  By "communication" I meant
"normal email" -- sorry for the bad choice of words.

For me, the point of the new middle column is to answer "which gcc.gnu.org
account should I use in bugzilla PRs?".  But adding "@gcc.gnu.org" to each
entry might encourage people to use it for normal email too.

After:

  To report problems in GCC, please visit:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/

how about adding something like:

  If you wish to CC a maintainer in bugzilla, please add @gcc.gnu.org
  to the account name given in the Write After Approval section below.
  Please use the email address given in <...> for direct email communication.

Richard