Hi everybody,

now that a proposal for unsigned number inclusion in Fortran has
passed the J3 hurdle, https://j3-fortran.org/doc/year/24/24-116.txt ,
I thought I would put my working hours where my mouth is and try
my hand at a testbed implementation for gfortran.  I am still
grateful to Reinhold that he put this on the DIN list as a
suggestion.

I will use the text above as a preliminary spec.  Of course, there
is a chance that the feature may actually not make it into F2028,
or that there would be differences, but that is what experimental
work is for.

As for my motivation, I hate having to drop to C because Fortran
lacks a feature :-)

Everything will be hidden behind a flag, tentatively called
-funsigned, to allow inclusion into the compiler at a later date.

The amount of work will be substantial, but not too difficult - mostly
copying and modifying what already works for integers

Putting the work on a public branch probably works best; I will
do so in the next few days. As name, I will use fortran_unsigned,
unless somebody has a better idea.

As to when this will be finished... I don't know, it could already
be somewhat usable before being complete.  It is also work that can
be split into many relatively small parts, just implementing one
feature at a time.

Best regards

        Thomas