Richard Sandiford wrote:

> Tested against gcc-4_1-branch on mips64-linux-gnu and mipsisa64-elf.
> Mark, what do you think?

I'm a bit torn.  On the one hand, it doesn't look like there is any
other reason to do a 4.1.1 RC2.  So, we could declare that Fortran is
not release-critical, and just release 4.1.1.  On the other hand, it
seems a shame to have a release in which a popular programming language
is so horribly broken on a reasonably popular platform.

You indicated off-line that your biggest concern with the patch was not
its behavior on MIPS, but, rather, that it might break some other
platform.  I agree with that assessment of where the risks lie.

In particular, with code like:

> +if [ "$LIB2_SIDITI_CONV_FUNCS" ]; then
> +  for func in $swfloatfuncs; do
> +    sifunc=`echo $func | sed -e 's/XX/si/'`
> +    lib2funcs="$lib2funcs $sifunc:$sifunc:4"
> +  done
> +  for func in $dwfloatfuncs; do
> +    difunc=`echo $func | sed -e 's/XX/di/'`
> +    tifunc=`echo $func | sed -e 's/XX/ti/'`
> +    lib2funcs="$lib2funcs $difunc:$difunc:4 $tifunc:$difunc:8"
> +  done
> +else
> +  lib2funcs="$lib2funcs `echo $swfloatfuncs | sed -e 's/XX/si/g'`"
> +  lib2funcs="$lib2funcs `echo $dwfloatfuncs | sed -e 's/XX/di/g'`"
> +fi

which, could, potentially change the libgcc API.

However, I've started at the patch for quite some time, and I don't see
any problems.  And, thus far, there seem to be no problems on mainline.

So, I think we should include this patch.  Please apply, and let me know
when you've done that, so that I can start an RC2 build.

Thanks for working on this difficult issue.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery