Basile STARYNKEVITCH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm not sure to follow Diego and I am a bit concerned about other
> potential external libraries. Suppose for example that some GCC code
> uses an external library like the Parma Polyedral Library
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/ (which is very useful for sophisticated
> static analysis) or the Libtool Dynamic Loader, which might be useful
> also, for example if the compiler needs to generate some specialized
> (w.r.t. to the compiled source code) code. Maybe my position is
> unusual, but I believe that more and more external libraries or
> softwares will become required or useful to GCC.

If we can link against fixed, stable, distributed versions of the
supporting libraries, then I think I agree with you.  Or,
alternatively, if the supporting libraries are optional.  The problems
we're seeing with MPFR is that we seem to require a changing,
undistributed version.  I don't have a problem with requiring changing
versions of tools which are only needed by developers, such as
autoconf.  I think it is problematic to require shifting versions of
tools which are needed by everybody who builds gcc, though of course I
agree that is a much smaller set of people than the set of people who
use gcc.

This all may just be a shakedown problem with MPFR, and maybe it will
stabilize shortly.  But it's disturbing that after one undistributed
version became a requirement, we then very shortly stepped up to a new
undistributed version.  I think it should be obvious that if we
require an external library which is not in the tree, we should not be
at the bleeding edge of that library.

I also want to note that using external libraries is going to give us
problems reproducing bugs, when different users/distributors use
different versions of those libraries.  At the very least we need to
report the version number of each external library in gcc --version.

Ian