Dave Korn wrote:

>> Some have suggested that I try to solve this by closing GCC 4.3
>> development until 4.2.0 is done.  I've considered that, but I don't
>> think it's a good idea.  In practice, this whole software freedom thing
>> means that people can go off and do things on their own anyhow; people
>> who are more motivated to add features than fix bugs are likely just to
>> keep doing that, and wait for mainline to reopen.
>
>   So here's a second possibility:  delete the 4.2 branch, and start again with
> a fresh release branch.  Call it 4.2 again, although it would be more-or-less
> what we're expecting to be 4.3.  Maybe it would be not just simplest but also
> most effective to cut our losses and try again.

I've already considered, discussed, and dismissed this possibility --
and I still think it's a bad idea for all the same reasons.  See:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-02/msg00427.html

for my thinking.

Of course, this bit:

>  Then, we'll have a 4.2.0 release by (worst case, and allowing for
> lameness on my part) March 31.

has not come to pass.  Either I did not allow for sufficient lameness on
my part, or I failed to correctly estimate the worst case, or both. :-(

I also see no evidence that 4.3 is going to be particularly better.
After all, most of the 4.2 bugs are still in 4.3, so there's certainly
no reason to think that a new branch today would be any closer to
release.  And there's a good bit more functionality that we want to get
into 4.3, which, in the way of things, is likely to introduce new bugs,
no matter how positive its overall impact.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery