"Sjodin, Jan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi I am new to GCC development and I have a few questions about LTO.
> What has been done since the last status report in January? I would
> also like to know what is most important to work on right now to make
> progress on LTO (e.g. type system, intermediate representation,
> reader/writer). What remaining work needs to be done to make LTO work
> for C? In the old status report a few things were mentioned: the front
> end was not complete, the type system was not being fully encoded and
> there are still some things that need to be explicitly represented in
> the IR.

My take on it.  Others may feel differently.

Some langhooks have been removed.  Removing langhooks one way or
another is an important step in permitting the middle-end to work
independently of any frontend.

The gimple-tuple proposal has been made and people have started to
work on it.  The goal here is to modify the IR to reduce memory
requirements.

No work has been done on the reader/writer; it has been delayed by the
dataflow work.

It is not clear to what extent we need to fully define a middle-end
type system.  We may be able to get away with simple structural
equivalence for now rather than a more formal approach.

Ian