On May 1, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

"Sjodin, Jan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi I am new to GCC development and I have a few questions about LTO.
What has been done since the last status report in January? I would
also like to know what is most important to work on right now to make
progress on LTO (e.g. type system, intermediate representation,
reader/writer). What remaining work needs to be done to make LTO work
for C? In the old status report a few things were mentioned: the front
end was not complete, the type system was not being fully encoded and
there are still some things that need to be explicitly represented in
the IR.

My take on it.  Others may feel differently.

Some langhooks have been removed.  Removing langhooks one way or
another is an important step in permitting the middle-end to work
independently of any frontend.

In addition, other flags that affect codegen and can be mixed and matched between translation units need to be adjusted eventually. For example, semantic options like -fstrict-aliasing, -ffast-math, - fforce-mem, -falign-loops, lots of optimization options (e.g. -fgcse, etc), and even target options like -malign-double, -march, etc.

-Chris