On 22/05/07, Jan-Benedict Glaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-05-21 15:35:53 -0700, Mark Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a volunteer who would like to help prepare a regular list of
> P3-and-higher PRs, together with -- where known -- the name of the
> person responsible for the checkin which caused the regression?  Or, is
> this something that could be automated through Bugzilla, perhaps by
> adding a pointer to the SVN revision at which the regression was introduced?

For a start, isn't there enough computation power on the testing
cluster to build all and any revisions of binutils+gcc to run the test
suite?  Shouldn't be hard to implement and would be helpful.  I'd
volunteer to prepare the setup, if somebody supplies the CPU cycles.

I am not sure what you mean exactly. Running the testsuite is not the
issue (it must be run for every patch). The discussion is about having
a PR with a testcase, then identifying at which revision that testcase
started to fail, then identifying who committed that revision.

Janis has some scripts to do regression hunting. However, it is not
fully automatic. For one reason or another, some revisions fail to
built. When that happens, you need to mark that revision as ignored
and restart the regression hunt. Perhaps you can modify the scripts to
handle such situation. Maybe it should also contain a list of "bad"
revisions. Apart from this, the scripts are very powerful and
intuitive (although some docs would also help everybody).

On the other hand, setting up the regression hunt is not automatic
either but with some practice, documentation and fine-tuning of the
scripts, it can be made fairly trivial.

Cheers,

Manuel.