On 20 July 2007 16:31, Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

>>   Guys, why don't you take this to comp.std.c++ to get an authoritative
>> answer?  That's where you'll find the greatest concentration of people who
>> really know what the standard /actually means/ by what it says...
>
> Alright, thread moved to comp.lang.c++.moderated, subject "Overload
> resolution with template and non-template functions", and it's waiting
> for moderator approval.

  Thanks, and do drop a note back with a summary of what you find out over
there when you're done; if there's definitely a bug in gcc's understanding of
the resolution rules, obviously we'd like to open a PR and get it fixed.

  (It's more likely, however, that the behaviour you see with VS is some kind
of non-conformance on their part; the MSVC compiler is IIRC notably less
rigorous about implementing and enforcing some of the more complex
restrictions in the standard.)

    cheers,
      DaveK