Richard Guenther wrote:

> Sure.  I'd expect the usual release candidate or two separated by
> one or two weeks.  I'd also expect the mainline to be frozen after rc1.
> I guess branching can happen at the point there is either rc2 or
> the 4.3.0 release.

I'm following this discussion closely, of course.

To tell the truth, I'm pleased that consensus seems to be developing
around delaying Stage 1 until we have a release out the door.  My only
concern with that in the past has been that people might not be willing
to do it.  Not creating a branch will somewhat increase pressure to
focus on the release -- but that will only work if enough people are
actually motivated to work on the release anyhow.  It seems like there's
enough momentum in this cycle to make that work.

I'll keep listening, in case there's more feedback, but it seems like a
good plan to me.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell