> >> I think I prefer Richard's suggestion of not branching until we're
> >> ready to make the .0 release.  The effect should be the same
> >> except that people don't have to deal with checking patches in on
> >> the branch vs. the trunk until after 4.3.0 goes out.
> >>

> > I like this approach.

Me too.

I'm also very pleased that the RM and SC are open and willing to
consider changes of this nature to GCC release procedure. Thanks.

> So have we come to some sort of consensus here?  We leave mainline as
> stage 3 until we release? or at least have a somewhat final release
> candidate?

The summary of this thread is that opening stage 1 before we
release hurts us. So, we're trying to figure out another way.

I think there is consensus that this is a good idea. Well, maybe not
consensus, but all the posted commentary seems in favor. I assume if
people objected, they'd say something...

> Once we hit the target of 100 open PRs,( or whenever we would have
> originally cut a stage 3 release branch),  we firm up stage 3 so that
> *really* only bugfixes go in.  Then we work toward a release
> candidate, etc etc.?

I guess. This is the part that is less certain to me. There is less
consensus here, in that Richard and I are advocating a strict
time-based release schedule once the < 100 PR bit is flipped, with
staggered RCs. (Richard, I hope this generalized summary is accurate.)

Jason and Mark seem to be less impressed with this specific part.

> We can play it by ear, but do you want to wait to open stage 1 until
> we actually release 4.3, or do it after RC2 or something like that
> where there isn't much else going to happen to it?   Either works for
> me, but I don't see that opening stage 1 before we actually release
> buys us much.

So, I'd guess Stage 1 opens after 4.3.0 is released, or at least tagged
in SVN.

-benjamin