On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> Question is, whether this kind of rather large changes is acceptable
> for stage 3 or not.  Me, I call it a "regression fix" if it reduces
> compile time.  But I will not work on it now (or ask help from others)
> if it is a priori not acceptable for stage 3.
>
> Thus, thoughts please! :-)

I think the answer is "maybe".  In the past we have counted compile-time
savings as appropriate for stage3 regression fixes.  However IMHO you
would need to provide some measurement of the improvements (memory saved,
speed timings) so the RM and perhaps middle-end maintainers can weigh the
risk vs benefit and make an informed decision.

So far you've only shown us the "risky" part, i.e. the patch.

                --Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]