On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Doug Gregor wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As I promised at the summit today, I have created the branch
> > gcc-in-cxx (I originally said gcc-in-c++, but I decided that it was
> > better to avoid possible meta-characters).  The goal of this branch is
> > to develop a version of gcc which is compiled with C++.  Here are my
> > presentation slides in PDF format: http://airs.com/ian/cxx-slides.pdf .
>
> I, personally, think this would be a great step forward from a
> maintainability perspective, especially if we use those C++ features
> that can help eliminate many of the macros we currently have in GCC.

Agreed, this is a terrific idea.

> The first step seems to be to make sure that GCC compiles as C++ now
> (I know there's been work in this direction), and for us to make sure
> that this property is maintained in the mainline compiler. The C++
> front end would be a good place to start moving toward C++.
>   - Doug

I read through your slides and I'm interested in contributing.  I didn't
see the presentation itself so I don't know if this suggestion is
redundant.  However I believe some work could be done (maybe even on
mainline) to activate -Wc++-compat during bootstrap as a warning only,
(not an error).  E.g.:

        #pragma GCC diagnostic warning "-Wc++-compat"

This would help clean up some of the easy stuff and make the branch diffs
much smaller.

We could also extend -Wc++-compat to warn about more things, using C++
reserved keywords like "class" in C comes to mind.

                --Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]