On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:

> [...] I believe some work could be done (maybe even on mainline) to
> activate -Wc++-compat during bootstrap as a warning only, (not an
> error).  E.g.:
>
>       #pragma GCC diagnostic warning "-Wc++-compat"
>
> This would help clean up some of the easy stuff and make the branch diffs
> much smaller.

Some stats, I ran a quick make including the above #pragma in system.h, I
get 1089 new warnings.  Running this grep pipe on the output file:

        grep 'request for implicit conversion' output|sed
's%[^/]*\.[chl]:.*%%'|sort |uniq -c

yields:

      6
    754 ../../egcc-SVN20080619/gcc/
    231 ../../egcc-SVN20080619/gcc/fortran/
     72 ../../egcc-SVN20080619/gcc/java/
     26 ../../egcc-SVN20080619/gcc/objc/

The blank 6 are from insn-automata.c, which has no path prefix and gets
nulled out by my shellism.  There are no warnings from the C++ dir because
someone already cleaned it up and added -Wc++-compat, likewise for
libiberty.  (Who did that, Gaby?)

These are mechanical and can be fixed with simple casts.  Again, IMHO
these non-controversial patches should go straight into mainline.
Once done we can -Werror this warning and avoid regressions.

                --Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]