>>>>> Mark Mitchell writes:

Mark> Do these passes actually help on benchmarks?

Mark> I don't think we should be dismissive of "benchmark toy" passes if they
Mark> actually improve benchmarks significantly.  We don't have to like it,
Mark> but we should accept that people are going to benchmark GCC against its
Mark> proprietary competition, and that having good benchmark results matters.

        The passes improve the performance of SPEC CPU2000 benchmark
179.art.

        While the analysis can discover and recommend some effective
transformations in real-world applications, it is unclear whether GCC can
determine when the transformation is profitable and whether GCC must be so
conservative in its safety checks that it rarely an apply the
transformations.  In other words, the pass may be better an an analysis
tool providing feedback to programmers instead of a completely automatic
transformation pass.

David