Dave Korn wrote on 31 July 2008 12:45:

> Neal Becker wrote on 31 July 2008 12:42:

>> If it is really intended not to work, then at least
>> documentation should state that.
>
>   It does, as was already explained to you; re-read the thread.

  Actually I can be more use than that,  I'll show you the relevant bits of
the manual:

-ffast-math'
    Sets `-fno-math-errno', `-funsafe-math-optimizations',
    `-fno-trapping-math', `-ffinite-math-only' and
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    `-fno-signaling-nans'.

`-ffinite-math-only'
     Allow optimizations for floating-point arithmetic that assume that
     arguments and results are not NaNs or +-Infs.

  So, to address your point:

>>But, if I explicity ask isfinite(), I expect it to work.

  Fine.  But what do you expect to happen if you explicitly tell it that no
number in your program will ever be infinite, and then call isinfinite?  You
told GCC that it could assume isinfinite will always return zero, so it took
your word for that and replaced all the calls by a constant zero.  What do
you want to happen in those circumstances?

    cheers,
      DaveK