On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 03:08:47PM +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> OpenCL http://www.khronos.org/opencl/ is a new standard proposing an API
> for GPUs (targetting vector processing on heterogenous systems, like GPU
> + CPU). It suggests some restricted & specialized C dialect to code
> "kernel" functions (kernel in OpenCL means running on the GPU).
>
> Is there any branch or experimental code for adding OpenCL into GCC?
>
> I suppose that some people are already working on that, but I didn't
> find easily precise references.
>
> Any clues, insights, contacts on these items?

I am just starting to think about adding OpenCL support into future versions of
GCC, as it looks like a useful way of programming highly parallel type systems,
particularly with hetrogeneous processors.  At this point, I am wondering what
kind of interest people have in working together on OpenCL in the GCC compiler?

I realize Apple is putting a lot of work into OpenCL on the LLVM compiler, but
I think a parallel implementation in the classic GCC compiler would reach a lot
of users.  I'm curious how many users would consider using OpenCL if it was
available in GCC, and whether there are other people intereested in working on
it.  Note, at present, I have not scoped out the work -- I am trying to guage
what the interest level would be.

Off hand, I think the first stage is to get OpenCL to work in a homogeneous
multi-core system before diving into the hetrogeneous systems.  It is obvious
to me, that a GCC based OpenCL system should support various systems in
development, including homogeneous systems, pcs with add-on graphic processors,
combination systems like the Cell systems, and be flexible enough for new
systems coming down the pike.

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA