Paolo Bonzini wrote:

I am just starting to think about adding OpenCL support into future versions of
GCC, as it looks like a useful way of programming highly parallel type systems,
particularly with hetrogeneous processors.  At this point, I am wondering what
kind of interest people have in working together on OpenCL in the GCC compiler?

I might be working on parallelization (though in LLVM) for the next one
or two years.  If I have some free time to put into GCC, I'd love to
port my work to it and to collaborate with people already working on OpenCL.

Although the OpenCL infrastructure doesn't confine itself to it, this compute-on-the-graphic-processor type of parallellism mostly concerns itself with "let's do the FFT (or DGEMM) really fast on this processor and then return to the user".

That works if the performance of your program is dominated by the performance of the FFTs (DGEMMs) inside it.

If it isn't (surely not for us meteorology types) this approach is of limited use.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: t...@moene.org (*NEW*) - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/