On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Sylvain Pion
<sylvain.p...@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Sylvain Pion wrote:
>>
>>> Later, 1) started to be taken care of, and it was unfortunately
>>> added under the control of the same -frounding-math option.
>>> Which now, makes it harder to come back, since we want different
>>> defaults for these two aspects.
>>>
>>> I have already mentioned in a bugzilla PR that it could be nice
>>> to have 2 options, but IIRC, I did not get any reply to this.
>>
>> Patches to split the option into two *clearly-defined* options are more
>> likely to be accepted than changing the defaults, given that the fast-math
>> and related flags have been split more than once before.
>
> My goal is to have interval arithmetic work with the default flags,
> without more workarounds in the code (and as efficiently as possible).
> So, I'm not going to work on anything if it means only splitting it
> in separate flags, if we don't agree a priori on changing the default
> for at least one of those sub flags after that.
> That would be the opposite of progress for my usage, and so I would
> not volunteer.
>

> Currently, typical interval arithmetic code has to work around the fact that
> there is no good way to stop constant propagation reliably (so it's using
> some volatile or asm, or a big hammer like rounding-math, all these
> solutions
> having a performance cost).

It is not clear that constant propagation is the evil that needs to
be stopped at all cost.  Remember, there is lot under the heading
'constant propagation'.

> It would be nice to improve this, but a global flag, be it dedicated,
> strikes
> me as a clearly suboptimal solution here anyway (and, as has been mentioned,
> it causes problems with code which really needs cprop in other places).
> For IA, having a __builtin_stop_constant_propagation(expression) would be
> OK,

I'm not too sure you really want this, or anybody serious about
scientific computations and performance really wants that.
And how would you reconcile that with constexpr?

-- Gaby