Andrew Haley wrote:
Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

Perhaps could be discussed at the summit some way to increase the set of
reviewers, i.e. the set of people able to say Ok to a patch submitted on
gcc-patches@

As I understand it, the set of reviewers allowed to say OK to a patch is
limited to the set of people capable of reviewing these patches.  That is,
there is a limited set of people with enough real knowledge of gcc to
approve a patch.

I know a lot of people who fully understand many of the patches I did submit, and who are not able to say Ok (because' their plain maintainer status disallows that). And there are some patches which I did comment about, which I believe I did understand, and of course which I am not allowed to approve. I am certainly not alone in that case!

My feeling is on the contrary that the set of people having a real knowledge of gcc (or at least of substantial parts of it [*]) is much bigger than the set of reviewers allowed to say OK.

Regards.

PS. [note *] GCC is a huge software, so understanding well a part of it could be enough to understand some patches. And GCC is a huge software, so the set of people understanding all of it is shrinking; perhaps even it could be empty! (I never met any person claiming to understand all of GCC; for sure I will never understand all of it.).