Dave Korn wrote:

We might also artificially add a reference to each libiberty function from
cc1.

  Or link it into cc1 et al. using "--whole-archive".

Sorry, I am not aware of this option. And are we sure it works on all the systems GCC is supposed to run on?
If we did link dynamically libiberty.so:

  We would also have to install it, ..

Agreed.

Anyway, we really should have all of libiberty inside cc1. What is the best way to achieve that so that it works on all the systems GCC wants?

Regards.