Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

So I'm really confused as to how adding a simply function pointer in the global declaration section (without even adding any code to reference it) suddenly incurs an extra 40% overhead? Can anyone explain why this is, and/or point me to any suitable gcc optimisation guides?

There are a few possibilities, such as changing the alignment of the data,
but without seeing the code it's hard to say.

For reference, the gcc compiler is gcc 4.3.2 under Debian Lenny and the compile flags are:

-Os -g -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wundef -Wendif-labels -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes

We don't really have enough information.  If you could provide the code
so that we can try it, we could help.

Andrew.