Ok, now I have some results from the auto-compile-script-generation.

I got it to work, but it required some manual corrections.

First of all, I got link errors, because sched-ebb etc were trying
to call various functions, but those functions were not being
compiled in because INSN_SCHEDULING was not defined
(that's my quick analysis, anyway).  So I just grepped those
files out of the "source list".

Next, a stack of libiberty files were not compiled - strcasecmp,
vasprintf, asprintf, getpagesize, strdup.  I don't know why this
would be the case, because e.g. HAVE_STRCASECMP is
not defined.  Anyway, I added them to the source list manually,
and with a script, awk and m4, I was able to produce my
traditional compile script (which is a stepping stone for doing
the same thing on MVS).

Oh, one other change I made - I normally define PREFIX in a
common header file.  However, this caused a conflict between
prefix.c and regex.c which both try to use this keyword.  It
would be good if this define was made unique within the
source base.  I realise there are different ways around this,
but it would still be good to be unique.  For now I just updated
prefix.c to use "" as a default prefix if none is provided.  That's
neater than any immediate alternative I can think of.

But anyway, the short story is that things are looking great,
and it is looking like I have managed to slot into the existing
build process with fairly minimal intrusive code, which bodes
well for a future GCC 4 port attempt.  :-)  The remaining work
I know of doesn't require any more intrusive code.

BFN.  Paul.