> Huh.  I've never seen this before.  Is this with your patches to
> generate a "single executable" or without?

My patches are applied, but shouldn't be activated, because
I haven't defined SINGLE_EXECUTABLE.

I could try taking it back to raw 3.4.6 though and see if that has
the same problem.

Might be interesting ...

Things are never that simple.  :-)

My target isn't in raw 3.4.6, so I had to use a different target (dignus),
which worked!

But dignus no longer worked with my changes.

So had to get dignus working again before I could compare.

I tried other shortcuts, but wasn't successful.

After getting dignus working again I was able to start narrowing
it down.

For some reason gdb doesn't seem to be working as expected,
so had to do without it.

In the end, one line, long forgotten, in my target config file:

#define pwait(a,b,c) (0)

was what was responsible.  :-)  Most of my Posix replacement
functions are in a separate unixio.h, which would normally be
ignored in a configure/real unix environment.  Not sure why this
one ended up there.

Anyway, after that interlude, I can finally move on to the original
challenge!

BFN.  Paul.