On 29/01/2010 10:12, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Richard Earnshaw <rearn...@arm> wrote:
>> In PR target/42894 rguenth said:
>>> Only RMs may set priority.
>> I beg your pardon?  Where in the docs does it say that?
>
> I don't know that, but it's been discussed many times on this list.

  You can understand why people aren't always going to be aware of it if we
only ever discuss it in email and there's no mention anywhere in the bug
reporting or contributing pages of the website.

On 29/01/2010 10:39, Paolo Carlini wrote:

> Want to say two words about how I see these issues. Eventually, when the
> time of releasing comes, only RMs, essentially, decide which bugs block
> a release or not. In collaboration with the various specific
> maintainers, whatever, but certainly submitters cannot decide anything
> in this area.

  It's regularly been discussed in terms of just before a release and
specifically for bugs targeted against that particular release, but I for one
did not infer that this rule also applied to all bugs regardless of the stage
of development of the targeted version.

  It would be good if someone who knew the score was to add something to the
bug reporting page (or perhaps the wiki, with a link on the bug reporting
page) that gave details about "How we use Bugzilla in GCC"; the generic BZ
help linked to from the PR itself isn't so specific.  You could say that
people should realise from the text:

> Priority
> This field describes the importance and order in which a bug
> should be fixed. This field is utilized by the programmers/engineers to
> prioritize their work to be done. The available priorities range from P1
> (most important) to P5 (least important.)

... that it's not for end-users, but it would be much nicer to have something
as explicit as what the mozilla project have written up at:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/What_to_do_and_what_not_to_do_in_Bugzilla

    cheers,
      DaveK