On 2010-02-22 02:58:19 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> For example, N1421 (Markham minutes) has a discussion that's clearly
> presuming that a conditional
>
> #if defined(__STDC_IEC_559__) && (FLT_EVAL_METHOD == 1)
>
> may hold.

Well, this is a bit unclear. I think this is OK, as long as rounding
of a float operation is done to single precision (the exponent range
may still be the one of the double format, in which case the value of
FLT_EVAL_METHOD should be 1 as above). IEEE 754-1985 says:

  4.3. Rounding Precision

  Normally, a result is rounded to the precision of its destination.
  However, some systems deliver results only to double or extended
  destinations. On such a system the user, which may be a high-level
  language compiler, shall be able to specify that a result be rounded
  instead to single precision, though it may be stored in the double
  or extended format with its wider exponent range. [...]

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>