On 22/02/2010 11:04, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 02/22/2010 12:29 AM, Erik Trulsson wrote:

>>>   No, surely not.  The linux distributions use configure options
>>> when they package their compilers to choose the default with-cpu
>>> and with-arch options, and those are quite deliberately chosen
>>> according to the binary standards of the distro.  It is hardly a
>>> case of "somebody else did not explicitly specify" cpu flags; they
>>> in fact explicitly specified them according to the system
>>> requirements for the distro.  If your distro says it doesn't
>>> support i386, this is *why*!
>> Are you sure of that?  Really sure?
>> Some Linux distributions almost certainly do as you describe, but all
>> of them?  I doubt it.
>
> And I doubt otherwise.  Linux distros put a great deal of thought into
> which machines they are targeting with their binary distributions.
> And the existence of one tiny distro somewhere that doesn't would not
> change that fact.

  Actually, there are probably dozens or hundreds of tiny distros out there
that are basically somebody's home-made repackaging-and-minor-variant of
existing bundles.  However, I think that these are the same distros that
constitute the 90% referred to in Sturgeon's Law, and so I would still not see
that as any reason to change GCC's defaults!

    cheers,
      DaveK